There are 3 tags that look related to me: [shader], [pixel-shader], and [shading]. It seems like these should all be the same thing. I could see a [vertex-shader] tag in addition to [pixel-shader] or [fragment-shader], but just [shader] and [shading] seem like the same thing as [pixel-shader].

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ I'll write up an actual answer later but I think these all have different uses. [shading] refers to lighting in general, [shader] is useful for questions about shader languages and concepts in general, regardless of the stage and [pixel-shader], [vertex-shader], etc for stage specific questions. Maybe these need better tag wikis to clarify the differences. $\endgroup$ Mar 27, 2016 at 7:17
  • $\begingroup$ I think better tag wikis would help. I'm still left wondering what the difference between [shading] and [lighting] is given your explanation. $\endgroup$ Mar 27, 2016 at 14:37
  • $\begingroup$ I don't think there is one. That was one of my examples of possible synonyms during the private beta (which I totally forgot to revisit). That should probably be discussed in a separate meta post though. $\endgroup$ Mar 30, 2016 at 7:35


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .