Now that we've got 100 questions (yay!), I've made a round through the tags to see if they could use some cleaning up at this point. I think we'll still have a lot of discussion about tagging to do, but one thing I've noticed is that we already have some rather obvious synonyms.
Now, the tag synonym privileges are a bit weird. For one thing, we don't have any users yet who have enough rep to suggest the synonyms, but they also require a certain score in the relevant tag, which isn't necessarily easy to obtain with the breadth of topics we're currently focussing on.
Would the CMs be able to do some cleaning up at this point or will we just have to wait until we've got sufficiently high-rep users?
For reference, here are a bunch of synonyms I discovered, with the proposed parent tag listed first:
- performance efficiency optimisation (note also the BE spelling; I remember reading that spelling policy for tags and tag wikis is AE)
- lighting shading (I'm happy to be convinced that these are different; if they're not I'm also not sure which one to keep.)
- pixel-graphics pixels pixel-geometry (The latter might be worth keeping, but I'm not sure about the significance of pixels.)
- color color-science color-management (Again, the latter might be worth keeping.)
- stencil-test stencil-buffer
- perception human-vision
- offline non-real-time
We also have duplicate tags on meta. These are largely from the default tags, but some of the cases don't seem to warrant separate tags, so we shouldn't even start fragmenting are tagging landscape. Glaring examples:
I'm sure there are more, if you leave a comment, or let me know in chat I'm happy to add them.